AccessHolding’s business model rests on the creation or acquisition of newly established or existing commercial banks and MFIs with a target group focus on micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs). These institutions are then integrated into a group (the “AccessGroup”) with a common brand identity, a core range of standardised products (with local adaptations as required) and a joint commitment to the same principles:
- Ease and speed of access – providing financial services to previously un- or underserved parts of the population, with the aim to be faster and more efficient than any comparable operator in the country;
- Transparency and clarity of products, services and eligibility criteria – with as little room for discretion or subjective interpretation as possible;
- Quality leadership – in all our countries of operations, we strive to set industry standards with respect to customer orientation and service quality. At the same time, all member banks are committed to ensuring the highest possible quality of their loan portfolios through adherence to international best practices with respect to their underwriting standards and credit risk management.
- Training and staff development – one of the key elements in the build-up strategy for each member bank is the recruitment and training of fresh staff on a large scale. Our recruitment concept places strong emphasis in identifying talented and motivated staff with no prior relevant work experience and qualifying them to assume successively more responsible roles over time. Regular training and coaching as well as frequent staff exchange between network banks are vital elements in this strategy.
- Strong business ethics – all members of the AccessGroup adhere to a joint set of principles of good corporate behaviour, covering areas such as responsible lending practices, adherence to international and local social and environmental standards, as well as a stringent code of conduct for all member bank employees.
Hence, AccessHolding’s role goes beyond that of a project incubator or conventional strategic investor.